Sep 16, 2010

Update....

An update is in order..... the last time I posted I was struggling with Killian, but a lot can change in a week. That very night I realized something; I had not been spending the time in prayer like I had been. In fact with so many things going on I had let many aspects of my spiritual life go by the wayside. I wasn't reading the bible, I wasnt worshipping with all my heart. I had got so busy that I was forgetting to turn to the one thing that offers me comfort & strength. I had taken my relationship with Christ for granted & I was feeling the weight of stress upon my shoulders. However as I tend to do, I was denying that I was feeling any stress at all. One of my favorite one liners is, "Im fine!" when in reality I can be breaking apart. Thankfully through talking with some friends I was able to realize what I was missing. I was missing him. I was going through the motions, but not letting God inside my heart. Well that night I let it all out to him. I cried out to him on my knees & turned worship practice into actual worship and he was faithful to take the weight of it upon his shoulders.
So.. back to the update. I cant say that Killian was suddenly healed of his lack of diligence, but I was inspired to be more diligent myself. I was restored to the place which led me to homeschool in the first place.... Killian does need help & I can help him with God's help. Its in my job description Deuteronomy 6:7...
"Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up."
Of course they were talking about the commandments, but for us its all of scripture and its scripture that teaches us the wisdom that helps us in our daily struggles. Even our struggles with learning. The point is we are in this together. It want be fixed in a few months, but we are making progress. I already see the difference, but first on our agenda was outlawing the use of the words "I can't!". I informed the family that this is basically a cuss word in to the ears of God. I know I've been telling him that for a long time & he has patiently shown me, "Your right, you cant, but I can!" (Newly banned words in the Masters home... freaking, crapt & I can't.) Im sure I will have to do a few push-ups over one of these in the near future.

Actually first on the agenda was impressing them on my heart. Second was outlawing the use of "I cant". Third was waking up and doing what needed to be done. It was taking one day at a time and sometimes one minute at a time. It was realizing that if Killian was saying "I cant", well then that was the lesson we needed to be working on at that moment. We brought him home with the realization that we are not just trying to get him to graduate. We are raising them both to be people able to take care of themselves and their families. We are raising them to be healthy in heart & mind. We are raising them to love God enough to give their best. All the other stuff will come, but not to the detriment of who he is or who we are as a family. Our character is just as, no its more important than head knowledge. All the intelligence in the world means nothing if your heart is not in the right place. Hopefully at the outcome of this adventure we will be able to say that we are all more book smart, but most importantly that we are wise.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love this Nicole. My hat is off to you. Doing homework with Abigail has been hard enough. I can't imagine teaching her all day too. God bless.

Thanks for the reminder of how important sincere prayer and scripture study is.

Nicole said...

Thanks Alice, but to be honest we do about 2 hours of school a day, we have no homework and the kids are not exhausted when they do other things. God bless you for being able to keep up with running the kids to school, doing their homework and keeping them involved in extracurricular activities. I am far less stressed than I ever was when they were in school. Just remember your doing an awesome job!